Thursday, June 12, 2008

Changing Our Daily Routine

As I start to feel more like myself (will I ever really feel like myself again?) I have decided that it is time for us to make some changes in our daily routine. Throughout the difficult pregnancy, bedrest, and recovery Katie got in the habit of watching almost the entire morning lineup on Playhouse Disney. Then in the afternoon she often needed some quiet rest time and so we would watch some of her other favorite shows then. So the last two mornings the TV had remained OFF. Her Mickey Mouse time will have to be with her stuffed animal Mickey. I have replaced that time with some Classical music experience time. This week we are experiencing Moussorsky's Pictures at an Exibition and Vivaldi's Four Seasons. Even Joy can listen to music so it is time for the entire family.

We have also failed to get outside much in the last three or four months. So in the afternoon we have been going outside and flying our Winnie the Pooh kite. Since I'm still not quite up to running, I just walk briskly and I'm only able to get the kite up a little. Katie loves it anyway because she can run around below and play with the tail of the kite. Afternoons are perfect because that is when Joy takes her longest nap.

I went to the library yesterday and got If you Give a Moose a Muffin and I think reading library books will become a regular activity in this house. The first time we sat down with the book we read it three times. It has more words on the page then the board books but not too many that she gets impatient. Anybody have any suggestions on similar books I could find at the library?

So with these little changes I feel like we are living more of the daily life that I would like. I hated having my morning revolve around the television.

3 comments:

edkela said...

Congratulations on reading more! I will think some more about books, but off the top of my head.....

Curious George books
Blueberries for Sal
Harold & the Purple Crayon
anything by Gail Gibbons
Where the Wild Things Are

Try this link:
http://www.classical-homeschooling.org/celoop/1000-primary.html

We love reading!
:-D
Lisa

Crystal Cox said...

We go every week and get library books too. Troy loves reading them.

His favorite this week is "Llama Llama mad at Mamma" It is a really cute book. You should check it out!

edkela said...

Hey.... here are a couple more...

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom
George & Martha books by James Marshall (they're so funny!)
Mike Mulligan & the Steam Shovel
No David (they call this book "naughty boy")
Pierre by Maurice Sendak
Strega Nona
The Very Hungry Caterpillar
Spot (the dog) books by Eric Hill (they have lift-a-flaps!)

:-)
Lisa