Thursday, August 7, 2008

Book Review

I had to return several books to the library. Among which were Katie's new all time favorites Go Dog Go! and Llama Llama Mad at Mama. Never fear though - Aunt Tricia bought her those two for her birthday. Katie is starting to read now. She knows all the sounds that the letters make and can sound out three letter words. I got her a Leap Frog Word Whammer and she on her own will spell the words "cat", "mom", and "dad".

Some of the hooks I returned to the library were:
Fox in Socks by Dr. Seuss - Katie enjoyed this one. She liked the rhyme. It is a tongue twister though and so can be a challenge for the parent reading it. Which only makes it more fun for the child.

Berenstain Bear Picnic by Stan and Jan Berenstain - She loved looking at this one. The bears have trouble finding a good picnic spot. We read it a few times and she looked at it on her own quite a bit.

Blueberries for Sal by Robert McClowsky- She enjoyed this one a few times. She didn't look at this one much on her own. I thought it was a cute story.

2 comments:

edkela said...

Hey -
Wow- she's reading already? She's not even 3, is she? Sounds like she's only slightly behind Atticus. He does OK at 3 letter words, but I think he's forgotten a lot of his letters over the summer. I was much more diligent with teaching Mateo. He is a read-a-holic lately. He reads 2-3 hours a day (at least). It's like having a mini-me. Love it! Are you reading with Joy yet? Karis likes to read for about 15 minutes and then she is overstimulated. I need to read to her more often.

Rebecca said...

Aww. Go Dog Go was a major fave around here til it got destroyed. I may have to get another copy for Zack!