Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Merry Christmas





O Tidings of Katie and Joy
Katie: “Ho, ho, ho! I am Sanaclause!” I love everything about Christmas. I love Santa, I love Rude-off, I love wearing my Santa hat, I love birthday presents and I love the Christmas tree, although the “candles” don’t blow out. I can turn the candles on by plugging the fins into the eyes on the wall. Mom and Dad tell me that Santa is not real, but I see him everywhere. They tell me that Christmas is about Jesus. He is the guy we thank for our food. My tree ornament says that angels appeared to shepherds and told them “you will find a baby wrapped in swaddling cloths and lying in a manger… and that is what Christmas is all about Charlie Brown.”

I love letters. I like to read three letter words. I know that “when two vowels go walking, the first one does the talking.” This rule helps me spell complex words like “wait.” But many words don’t follow the rules, like “buy” and longer words. I am still taking dance lessons through Kinderdance. Dancing makes me really exited and then the teacher gets mad when I don’t wait my turn. At home I love to dance to Swing, especially Benny Goodman. I love Cinderella. We have an orange teething ring I pretend is my crown and I say, “my slipper, where’s my slipper!”
I like my stuffed Mickey Mouse and Rude-off, but my new toy that I love most of all is Baby-Joy! She doesn’t do much but she is still fun and so cute. I love to give her hugs and kisses and play with her. I don’t mind sharing my toys with her, as long as they are not my books! Mom says she named the baby “Joy” because they named me Katie and I have a personality like a hurricane. Not sure what she means.

Mom was very sick when she was pregnant with Joy. Her morning sickness continued through the 22nd week of pregnancy. When she finally got over morning sickness she got the flu with fever and bronchitis when Dad was teaching at a junior high camp. After that her feet swelled up as big as elephant feet and she had to lie on her left side all day. The doctor told her that she had to lie down because of her blood pressure. At 37 weeks the doctor induced labor for the health of mommy and baby Joy. After Joy was born mom was still sick. She was very anemic and would pass out. Two weeks later she began hemorrhaging and was rushed to the ER where she received many blood transfusions. The doctor said she had something called “Placenta Accreta” and they gave her a hysterectomy. She stayed in the hospital for a long time.

Mom is much better now. She says that Joy “broke the mold” and that she is “Mom of two limited editions.” Mom is starting to take pictures again. Sometimes she goes to the Camera Club when I go to bed and she has won many 1st and 2nd place ribbons. She still likes taking pictures of me and Joy the best.

Joy: “baba, mama, dada.” I like to talk. My favorite is the “p” sound, but I don’t always remember how to make it. I am mostly a happy baby, but I get fussy in the evenings because I am so tired. Mommy has been sure I have been teething since I was about 2 weeks old. Someday soon she’ll be right. I have been sleeping 10 to 12 hours at night since I was 3 months old. I am eight months now. I don’t crawl yet, but I discovered that I can get where I want by rolling. My goal in life is to find paper and EAT it. I don’t know why I eat paper since it makes me gag. But ever since I ate mommy’s “I voted” sticker, I just can’t help myself.

Dad keeps saying that he is coming to grips with the fact that his two biggest mistakes in life have been buying a house and saving for retirement. When he watches the news he mutters about “predatory politicians” and “crony capitalism.” Dad has spent the year preaching and pastoring the congregation at Redeemer. He has been at Redeemer about two years now. He just led his first memorial service for a dear member of Redeemer. It is the first memorial service he has led that had television crews present. He tells me, however, that by two years in Gresham he had already conducted 10 funerals. Dad tries his best to fit in time to practice the guitar. He has started taking lessons again (though most the time they are canceled) and has taken on a guitar student. He has also started working out. He goes to the gym at 6 am and pushes heavy things. He says he is getting huge but then complains about being too sore to lift my big sister, Katie.

Josh and Jill: God has been good to our family this year. We are thankful for all he has blessed us with and known that even through times of trial and struggle He is faithful and good. We celebrate with great joy the savior Jesus Christ who came as a baby and lived a perfect life and died on the cross as payment for the sins of all who confess His name.

Love,
The Martin Family
Josh, Jill, Katie (3) & Joy (8 months)

1 comment:

edkela said...

That picture is so cute. Katie looks just like you in that picture! :-)